Thursday, April 16, 2009

A collectible a day keeps Paul happy....


I have often wondered how many objects are stored in my two little rooms, most of them things with no value at all, others with speculative value, others with proven value. I must admit I'm not rich enough to buy all the things I crave and probably will never be. I also lack foresight, many potential collectables I buy never seem to pick up value, they just stall or end up on bargain shelves.
Nonetheless I love my objects, the more my room seems crowded the happier i feel. I think some people are born to collect, others just use the object and throw it away when its not fashionable anymore. I have collected right about everything in these last 34 years, toys, comics, swatch, disneyana, books etc etc. And most of them are still here with me keeping me company and seeing me age. One of my favorite poems is 'Grow old with me' by Robert and Elizabeth Browning. Being single and mostly unloved I see these objects as my life companions, each has a story to tell, a secret to unfold. They are my source of happiness and they hardly ever betray me, maybe the only betrayal is when they fail to get their marked price on ebay. But then again I am no speculator. Its just sweet madness, or maybe just sweet love...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers